Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Day 2

This is the second day of my blog and I am quite excited about it. I am having more ideas about what I can put on here.

I get home late on Tuesdays, I teach until 8:00 PM. When I got home Olga had cooked me a meal, after dinner she brought me a coffee and on a saucer next to my coffee was a plate with six cookies. The cookies were those alphabet cookies that come in a large jar. The six letters were F,U, C, K, M and E. I liked this small piece of domestic non verbal communication on a whole bunch of levels. It wasn't so much what was being said because let's face it we've been married 14 years, it's a Tuesday night and we have kids, no what struck me way the typographic artistry, the incongruity of message and form that some how seemed to align like the panels on a German car. I took some flix of the message and some other obscenities we spelled out to one another, I'll upload them as soon as I can unfortunately it's 1:12 AM and I have classes to prepare and I still need to shower so the pics might have to wait.

We played with these cookie letters for a good quarter of an hour digging for the required letter to build our thoughts. This simple stupid personal moment with my wife reminds me that typography is sculptural and that life is loved in moments of apparent madness.

To top the evening off I went walking up and down in the backyard with Charlie the dog, listing to some banging tunes from the Arctic Monkeys, I began dancing as I often do when listing to good sounds late at night in the yard alone. This reminded me of an idea I have had before to make an iPod commercial using a home DV camera dancing to the music, shadowy

No comments: